My Account
Search Type
Buy Rent
Price Range

Understanding the Sale Process

Vendor Guide

What happens once you have received an offer for your Guernsey open or local market property?

If your property is registered with other agents please inform them that your property is now under offer and that all viewings should be suspended unless told otherwise.

The title deeds to the property should be in our possession within 24 hours of offers being accepted on your property in order that the sale can progress quickly. We are more than happy to collect these from you or please drop them to our St. Peter Port office

Please have any approved plans and relevant certifications available for inspection by the purchasers, their advocates and surveyors if your property has undergone any building works. If you have any doubts please speak to Livingroom now and we will be happy to advise you.

Please be aware that your property must remain in the condition as seen when the offer was made. Any damage or alterations to the property that have occurred after the offer was accepted will need to be accepted by all parties (as per clause E of the Conditions of Sale).

Any literature or information regarding the day-to-day workings of your home and appliances would be greatly appreciated by your purchaser.

Please note that, under the stringent GFSC Money Laundering regulations, should the sale of your property be successful, we would require a copy of a utility bill and a copy of your passport. By law, you need to physically come to our offices so that we may identify you and take a copy of your passport.

We would like to draw your attention to planning laws which are enforced by the Development and Planning Authority who are able to take action against a new owner of a property for works carried out without the required permissions. Although not a legal requirement, a purchaser will be strongly advised by their advocate to apply for an Immunity Certificate, which will provide them with a statutory defence to proceedings being taken for works carried out before the date of the Immunity Certificate by an earlier owner. In order to apply for an Immunity Certificate, Livingroom may be asked to provide a letter of authority on your behalf as the current owner of the property. The letter will:

  1. Authorise the application for an Immunity Certificate.
  2. Allow the purchaser or their professional advisers to undertake a search of the records relating to your property at the Environment Department.
  3. To prevent any potential delays in the signing process many advocates will ask for the letter of authority at the beginning of the transaction when the draft Conditions of Sale are issued.

What Is An Immunity Certificate And Do I Need One As A Vendor?

Immunity Certificates provide those entering into an agreement to purchase a property with the reassurance that the Development and Planning Authority will not be taking enforcement action against them for a breach of planning control carried out by the previous owners. Immunity Certificates do not act as any form of warranty against illegal development carried out at the site prior to its date of issue. The Development and Planning Authority does not have the resources to carry out an inspection of every property that is sold or leased. Often breaches of planning control come to light when a new owner or leaseholder applies for permission for further works to their property or land. If you would like to check the planning and building control history of a property prior to purchase or lease, you can request a property search.


“Once a final completion date has been agreed you should consider arranging final meter readings for gas, water, electricity and telephone. ”

Let people know you are moving. You should also take advantage of re-directing your mail with Guernsey Post but also contact those who need to find you or update ether records. We would suggest the following:

  • Electricity 
  • Oil
  • Water
  • Gas 
  • Telephone
  • TV Licensing
  • Cable/Satellite and Internet providers
  • Your employer
  • House Insurance
  • Car insurance
  • Life insurance
  • Income Tax Department
  • Social Security Department
  • Newsagent
  • Milkman
  • Clubs 
  • Library  
  • Schools/Colleges
  • Doctor
  • Dentist
  • Optician
  • Vehicle Registration & Licensing
  • Subscriptions


If you have any further queries, please contact Livingroom where we will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

More Guides

The Sellers’ Guide

The Sellers’ Guide There is often plenty of help when buying a property with useful guides and checklists but what...

Useful Tips for Tenants

Tenants Guide How to find a property to rent with Livingroom and tips on being a good Guernsey tenant.

Useful Tips for Landlords

Landlord Guide Learn about tenant expectations and how to be a good Guernsey landlord. Livingroom is here to help.